Clacks care home operator fined after resident death
Written by centralfmnews on January 14, 2022
A Clackmannanshire care home company has been fined £640,000 following the death of a resident, who choked on a piece of doughnut.
The 65-year-old, who lived at Orchard Care Home in Tullibody, was on a specialist diet.
She’d already been assessed as being at risk of choking.
Care home operator HC-One pleaded guilty to health and safety failings, after the death in August 2019.
Alistair Duncan is head of the health and safety investigation unit of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service:
“HC-One Limited left all residents at risk by failing to ensure modified diets were adhered to and staff had the relevant knowledge to keep those in their care safe,” he said.
“This prosecution should reiterate the need for all care homes to protect their residents and remind them they will be held accountable if they fail to do so.
“Our thoughts are with the family of the resident at what must be a difficult time for them.”